03 May 2012

destiny


Alright guys. Listen to this. So I'm taking a pottery class. And I was searching on Google for more pottery classes in the area in case I wanted to pursue this whole pottery thing long term. And then I was looking at Google images for pottery classes in the area.. for some reason... and I saw a picture of a cool house in my area so I clicked on it. And it was a register of landmarks/old houses where I live and I scrolled down a few times and BAM. This is my neighbors house.

Please also pay attention to the paragraph I bolded and italicized. Remember what I was Google-ing? That's right. Pottery classes. Maybe I'm just being drawn to all the right places at all the right times.


Clarence Beesley House


Friday, September 19, 2008, 8:17:42 AM | mtaylor




 


Several features of this home reflect the English Tudor style, which was popular in Utah between 1915 and 1935. In Renaissance England, Tudor houses used heavy wooden frames for structural support, and these frames were filled in with various materials and covered with plaster. In America, the exposed timbers of English Tudor-style homes are simply decorative. The style was popularized in many pattern books of the early 20th century, which promoted the English Tudor style for small cottages that were ideal for city building lots. English Tudor features that can be seen in this home include the asymmetrical façade, the steeply pitched gable roof, the exposed framing members or “timbers” with panels infilled with stucco, the Gothic pointed arch of the entry door, the polychromed stonework and stucco exterior, tall casement windows and the smaller lights in the main picture window, and the clay chimney pots.

This particular lot was originally owned by Erik C. Henrichsen who emigrated from Denmark in 1871. In 1874 he began his own pottery business on the lot where this house now stands. The current owners still find pottery shards throughout the yard.

This home was built in 1924 (according to County records). The owner in 1935 and 1936 was Clarence Beesley, the manager of a local business and the owner of the LDS Second Ward grocery.

In 1939 the home was occupied by Cecil A. Larsen, the meter superintendent for Utah Power and Light. The house was later owned by Harry L. and Golda G. Allen of Pennsylvania and Maryland respectively. When Harry died in 1958, Golda continued to live in the house. In 1969, Pyne Floor Coverings was located in the house and Keith and Merta Anderson, owners of the business, lived here. In January of 1979, the home was sold again and Kathryn and Bob Allen (no relation to Harry) have lived in the house since.


I wonder if my house could be in this register. According to my landlord, it was built in 1909. Maybe I'll have to do a little digging in the County records. In any case, I'm pretty much famous because I've met Kathryn and Bob Allen. No big deal.

1 comment:

Savannah Jackson said...

Neat! Such a thorough record. and a beautiful black and white pic. and clever commentary. i love it all.