10 May 2010

grand opening!

So I've made a few posts already. But really, they were just test posts. I'm welcoming you to the grand opening of the blog, which is going on RIGHT NOW. Sorry no hot dogs or any free food. Just pictures and words. Maybe a few videos. And to sale-abrate this grand opening, I will write you a post about a yard sale.  It's long but worth it. ALL of my posts will be worth it. Come again soon.

Yardies

Big thanks to: my parents, my brother, my good, good, good friend Liz, my tall friend Spencer, everyone who donated or came to the yard sale, the two gangster muchachos. 

You may see a bunch of junk. I see yard sale GOLD!
I'm currently in fundraising mode to raise money for the HELP International program in Fiji. So I collected a lot of stuff from a lot of people I know to sell at a yard sale. Great idea, right? That's debatable. Numero uno: I had never participated in the setting up of any kind of yard sale. Numero dos: I don't frequent yard sales (I'm not a Yardie). Numero tres: I don't know what other peoples' throw-aways are worth.

My good, good, good friend and I sorted things into piles, priced everything, agonized over every price, made signs, posted signs, and touched things that should no longer be touched. We did this every night for two whole weeks. Notice I added two extra good's because only a good, good, good friend would do this for me. We ate, slept, drank, even smelled, yard sale. I actually had a nightmare about my yard sale after it was over. Seriously. I woke up in a sweat.

Alas, here are a few of my favorite moments:

1. While pricing donated items in my room, I pulled from a plastic grocery bag a mysterious, black, cloth item and jokingly flung it across the room on my gggf's lap. After a second she held it up and we both realized it was men's underwear. And it wasn't new. Gross. Who donates that?

2.  At the yard sale, I was joking with a friend that my yard sale was better than all the rest that were going on that day around town. An older female Yardie overheard our conversation and later whispered to me that people usually have cakes or treats at yard sales. My thoughts: "Are you kidding me?" My reply: "Thanks for the tip." I'm offering you some awesome junk for cheap and you expect awesome treats as well. No way, José.

3.  Two muchachos pulled up to the yard sale on their pimped-out bikes and started looking around. One of them kept looking at me, so I told him I liked his bike (it was a King Cruiser). And I think they thought I was flirting because they didn't speak much English. They told me I had beautiful eyes and they bought lots of stuff.

Perfect for yard sale cruising




All in all, it was a big hit and I overcame my encounters with used undies to raise some good money for HELP International. Bula Fiji!

Next week: Yardie initiation ceremony!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another memorable moment: someone wanting to buy your friends mirror and you suggested the small round mirror. Those hombres were funny!

Elizabeth said...

Dang! I can't believe I missed the muchachos! Do you remember that one Mexican guy who was there for a long time and was buying a bunch of stuff for his son going on a mission and kept wanting everything for a dollar and didn't speak any English and Eddie was translating for him? Well, at one point he said something about having gone on a mission in his home country before I was even born--twenty-seven years ago. I said HA! The jokes on you. I AM twenty-seven years old. And then he looked horrified and asked if I was still single and when I said yes, both he and the Hispanic woman translating for him at that point looked even MORE horrified. That was probably my favorite moment. Oh, and I also dreamed about the yard sale but it was when we were still pricing things.