22 December 2010

committed to Committed - last post - pinky swear

As many of you may already know, Committed victoriously claimed the crown on NBC's The Sing-Off.  Pretttttttty happy about that. I'm not going to tell you about my reaction after they were announced the winners... kind of embarrassing. But I feel the need to write one last post validating the championship quality of these guys to all my readers out there if they have not yet been won over.

To clarify, I didn't just want them to win because they are attractive, young, church-going black men from Alabama. There's so much more! I could literally write you a three to five page essay about why they won and why the other teams didn't--not just because writing essays is my thing, but there's so much that could be said about what they did right. Here are some main points I would include in my essay based on my knowledge of the music industry... i.e. I don't know anything, but here's my opinion anyway:

Dynamic - Their group as a whole is very musically talented. Each member can take on the lead vocals or stay back as a supporting beat. No one is left in the background. And because of this, the audience knew each individual singer more personally which increased their familiarity with the group.

From left to right: Maurice, Robert, D.J., Geston, Tommy, Therry
photo credit: r.jelani photography

Personality - As Ben Folds put it, they take their music seriously, but they don't take themselves seriously.  They were able to connect with the audience while delivering some pretty dang good arrangements.

Purpose - They said they chose their group name because they are committed to God, to each other, and to their music. It's easier to support a group when you know what they themselves seek to support, especially if its good.

Marketable - It seems like they are the easiest group to "sell" based on the criteria listed above. Also, based on their success creating arrangements for several different genres, they would be more likely to appeal to a more diverse following. Because of their dynamics, personality, and purpose, they already had a sizable fan base in Alabama before performing on The Sing-Off. Basically, they've already sold themselves.

I'm not saying that the other finalists were not talented. In fact, sometimes I wasn't positive Committed would win because the judges praised the other groups equally well. BUT, that being said, Committed had all of the prerequisites to outshine their competitors to win.

Here are a few more of their videos to tide you over:



Things to note:
  • 0:41 - Nicole is the lady judge
  • 2:32 - Dear Nick Lachey, nobody likes 98 degrees
  • 3:39 - Ben Folds is hilarious



Things to note:
  • 0:10 to 0:17 - It doesn't look like they're good at basketball
  • 0:36 - They blew my mind all the way
  • 1:19 - Attempt at Sexy Dance Move no. 1 by Tommy
  • 2:35 - Therry's gangsta bounce
  • 3:05 - Look closely for Attempt at Sexy Dance Move no. 2 by Maurice in the background



Things to note:
  • Looking fly in leather jackets and purple
  • 0:48 - You rock, Maurice

So, are you convinced now?  I know. You're in love. Go ahead and watch the videos over and over. Don't worry, we're all in this together.

1 comment:

Emily Brooke said...

I just want you to know that 1. I still read your blog 2. I watched those videos on monday as promised 3. I just spent 20 minutes on this post 4. I love them 5. You would