28 May 2010

bikers beware

Here are the facts:

1. At exactly 6:06 pm this evening I heard something hit the road. I heard and didn't see because I was up the hill walking down from campus and there were a lot of trees and shrubbery in the way.
2. 6:06:05 pm - I thought "That truck I hear down there must have lost something big off the bed of their truck."
3. 6:06:10 pm - I see two big trucks with their flashers on and people running to the aid of someone laying in the middle of the road by their bike.
4. 6:06:11 pm - I stop walking down the stairs and feel a bit sick to my stomach. And I'm a little worried to say that I wasn't surprised at the scene below.

I don't know who wasn't paying attention to who. All I know is that trucks are bigger than bikes. And I had a friend who was in a bike accident a few weeks ago. And his face looked very torn up. And neither my friend nor this girl were wearing helmets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a cyclist, the scene you described concerns me. I ride like I am invisible to those behind the wheel, some drivers dislike cyclists and I am aware of that as well. I am respectful to drivers, but there is rarely a ride that someone in a vehicle doesn't try to startle me. What's with that? I hope your friend, and the person in the recent accident are well.